Graduate student fellowship sponsorship
ISR offers our strategic partners a unique opportunity to participate in its research and education programs by sponsoring graduate students as ISR/Industry Fellows for a period of three years.
- Support the development of students skilled in state-of-the-art Systems Engineering approaches
- Promote student participation in research strongly oriented towards practical and strategic problems identified by industry
- Strengthen the technical interaction between ISR and sponsoring companies
- Promote the rapid transfer of technology
- Facilitate the commercial exploitation of knowledge
Opportunities for the company
The sponsoring company has the opportunity to appoint a Technical Liaison (TL) to the Fellow recipient. ISR encourages the TL to maintain regular contact with the Fellow, and to facilitate personal collegial contact with additional staff at the sponsoring company. It is anticipated that these Fellowships and the TL relationship may provide significant opportunities to the sponsoring company, including:
- Participation in the research by sharing industrial experience and guidance
- Early identification of significant research results for potential implementation at the sponsoring company
- Early identification of resulting intellectual property for licensing consideration by the sponsoring company
- Potential future employment of the student at the sponsoring company
- Cost-effective Summer Internship at the company for the Fellow
- Acknowledgment of company support in all publications produced by the Fellow during the term of the Fellowship
- Naming of Fellowship for the sponsoring company, providing company with the prestige and publicity of having their name associated with the highest quality students
Student applications and supporting documents for these fellowships will be reviewed by the ISR Education Program Committee. This review will ensure that the students chosen for this opportunity fulfill the highly selective academic excellence criteria set forth by the Institute. Industrial research Fellowships are intended for full-time graduate students, who are pursuing doctoral degrees in one of the ISR participating departments.
These chosen students will be matched with specific companies based upon the company's research and recruiting priorities, consistent with Maryland and federal laws. Annual renewal reviews will be conducted with input from the company, faculty advisor, and student. Renewal will be contingent upon continued mutual interest and the availability of funds.
The Fellow will be offered the opportunity to spend time at the company on research related activities. The Fellow may spend up to three months annually on-site during the summer and/or semester breaks. For those students who have completed their course requirements, this opportunity may also be available during the academic year. The Fellow will be encouraged to submit a brief progress report annually.
By participating in this ISR/Industry Fellowship Program, the company agrees to contribute a minimum of $50,000 per Fellow per year, for a period of three years, subject to annual renewal reviews.
This amount provides full graduate Fellowship support. This enables the company to participate with the faculty advisor and Fellow in the identification of a research project of mutual interest. This amount provides for an academic year stipend, a summer stipend, tuition, health insurance, reasonable travel costs for an annual visit to the company, and related research activities. Tuition and stipend are not subject to overhead charges.
Company will also identify an administrative point-of-contact for all program aspects, who will coordinate details with ISR.
Need more information?
For more information, contact Jeff Coriale, 301-405-6604.