POSTPONED: Excursion and tour of the SMART Building at USMSM
Friday, January 21, 2022
9:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
SMART Bldg, USMSM, 44219 Airport Road, California, Md.
Due to the current status of COVID Omicron infections, this event is being postponed to a future date. We will let you know about the new date when it is announced.
There will be a free bus excursion from UMD to the new SMART building at USMSM in southern Maryland, including a building tour and discussion of UMD programs. In addition to the bus transportation, self-driving is also possible.
The tour is designed for UMD faculty and students to see how the new SMART building can assist with research projects and student opportunities. Lunch will be provided.
Registration is required. Registrants will be notified if the tour needs to be postponed due to COVID concerns.
- 9:00 AM: bus departs UMCP for USMSM (44219 Airport Road, California, MD)
- 10:30: bus and self-drivers arrive at USMSM SMART building (Bldg 3), refresh/biobreak
- 10:45: program begins
- welcome by Drs. Eileen Abell (USMSM Exec. Director) and Sam Graham (Dean, Clark School of Engineering)
- presentation by me on the collaborative/dovetailed research and education, design of the building as well as the flow of information and effort, academia/industry/government presence
- presentation on MechE (Dr. Sami Ainane) and ECE (Dr. Danilo Romero) programs
- 11:30: tour of the SMART building
- 12:30: lunch, and then (1-ish) discussion of possible research partnerships/ideas/general discussion with group, not really guided discussion, rather ideas from the group
- 2-ish, or whenever it degrades to individual discussions: official end of the program, bus heads back to UMCP
- 3:30: bus arrives back at UMD